The “Energy Audit,” Reclaiming Your Time, & Increasing Ownership with Brad Henrickson #61
Brad Henrickson (Leadership Coach, Former CTO @ Scoop Technologies) shares how to reclaim ownership of your time by using an energy/calendar audit! You’ll learn the mechanics of how to conduct an energy audit and how to transform energy-draining moments engineering leaders commonly encounter, into energy-giving moments. Plus how to apply this at scale to amplify energy AND increase ownership throughout your entire org!
ABOUT BRAD HENRICKSON, LEADERSHIP COACH, FORMER CTO @ SCOOP TECHNOLOGIES
Brad is a seasoned technology leader with a broad range of experience from founding companies, to building product, to maturing organizations to driving culture and results in highly dynamic environments.
Brad has an extensive range of skills including but not limited to: building recruiting and hiring pipelines, organization design and SDLC design, people management, product management, board representation, budgeting, performance management, culture advocacy and delivery of critical technical projects.
Outside of the technical domain you will find Brad out rock climbing, surfing and mountaineering. He grounds himself through his connection to the outdoors and through his meditation practice which he has been doing for 20 years.
LINKS & RESOURCES
- Conscious Leadership Group: https://conscious.is/
- Henrickson Leadership: https://henricksonleadership.com/
- Sign up for Brad's Newsletter: https://bradhenrickson.substack.com/people/38350988-brad-henrickson
- Follow Brad on Twitter: https://twitter.com/lowercase24
- Introducing the “energy audit” (2:31)
- “Time is an expression of your priorities and values” (4:21)
- How an “energy audit” impacts how you spend your time (5:42)
- How to address routine meetings on your calendar that drain your energy (7:25)
- How to conduct your own calendar review & energy audit (10:55)
- How to approach a calendar review when you don't have total control of your time (14:36)
- Common energy audit trends for engineering leaders (18:13)
- How to transform energy-draining meetings to make them exquisite (19:34)
- Unplanned energy giving experiences to have on the calendar (22:54)
- How to transform activities from energy draining to energy giving (25:35)
- Renters vs. Owners & how to increase ownership in your engineering team (27:37)
- How to use energy audits at different scales of your organization (32:24)
- Framework to start a conversation about energy draining activities (33:50)
- How to get people to share problems without emotion or fear of judgement (37:00)
- Other contexts to apply the energy audit beyond meetings (39:34)
- How to use the energy audit to amplify your energy (41:16)
- Rapid Fire Questions (44:11)
- Takeaways (48:01)
Special thanks to our exclusive accessibility partner Mesmer! Mesmer's AI-bots automate mobile app accessibility testing to ensure your app is always accessible to everybody. To jump-start, your accessibility and inclusion initiative, visit mesmerhq.com/ELC
Interested in ELC's Peer Group Program? Click here to learn more & apply: https://bit.ly/3oBwLDC